Because I have been dealing with menopausal symptoms the past few years, I have incorporated more vegan recipes into our diet. My thought process is since my own hormones are continually fluctuating, the addition of hormones from animal products would only add to the problem. Here is a favorite recipe we often eat for lunch.
Adapted from “The Simple Veganista”
· 1 can (15 oz.) Chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
· 1/2 cup Red Bell Pepper, diced
· 2 stalks Celery, diced
· 2 – 3 Green Onions, sliced
· 1/3 cup Raisins or chopped Dates
· 1/3 cup Cashew pieces, raw or toasted
· 1/4 cup Tahini
· 2 TBLS Vegan Mayo
· 1 TBLS Lemon Juice
· 1 tsp Red Chili Sauce
· 1/2 to 1 TBLS Curry Powder
· 2 cloves Garlic, chopped
· mineral Salt and cracked Pepper to taste
In a medium mixing bowl, add chickpeas and roughly mash with a potato masher. Add in the peppers, onions, celery, raisins, cashews, and curry powder. Mix well to combine.
In a small bowl, combine tahini with the mayo, lemon juice, chili sauce, garlic, a pinch of salt, and water until desired consistency. Taste for flavor, adding salt and cracked pepper if needed.
Serve on a bed of leafy greens with crackers or use as a sandwich spread, or in a wrap.